April 17, 2017
May 1-7 is Screen-Free Week, a time to unplug and connect, learn and play. It is a great time to set goals for replacing some of the screen time with Active Play. Help make it easier for kids to have Active Play, Every Day by setting them up for success with these ideas:
- Similar to a recipe file, create an activity file. Write the name and description of an activity and the supplies or equipment needed. When kids are bored they can “draw” a card out of the file and enjoy some Active Play.
- Create “Active Play Kits” or tubs of supplies. As a family, give the kits as birthday or holiday gifts. As an organization, put kits together for fundraising raffles. Here are some ideas to inspire your creativity:
- Dancing scarves with music DVDs: Suggest different movements like “up high” or “down low.”
- Obstacle course supplies: Create a course with plastic cones, Hula Hoops, a pop-up tunnel and noodles (used as hurdles).
- Soccer ball and cones: Create a drill course with plastic cones and one or more age-appropriate soccer balls.
- Giant foam dice and activity cards: Create cards with physical activity instructions for each number rolled, i.e. roll a 4 = do 4 jumping jacks.
- Lawn games: For example, Bocce ball, badminton and bean bag toss.
- Miscellaneous active play equipment: Jump ropes, sidewalk chalk, bubbles and Frisbees.