Smarter Lunchrooms Make a Difference
September 19, 2016
Schools participating in the HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms Initiative are working towards helping kids make healthy eating choices a habit. A smarter lunchroom is one that nudges kids towards nutritious foods.
Solutions for creating Smarter Lunchrooms are low cost/no-cost and easily implemented, such as:
- Creating an appealing lunchroom environment
- Promoting healthful eating behaviors
- Sustaining the positive changes made
Best practices and lunchroom solutions that the Smarter Lunchrooms Initiative endorses have been studied and proven effective in a wide variety of schools across the nation. Examples include:
- Moving and highlighting fruit increased sales of fruit by up to 102%
- Naming vegetables and displaying the new names with the foods increased selection of vegetables from between 40% – 70%
- Placing white milk first in the lunchroom coolers has resulted in an increase of up to 46% in white milk sales
Studies have also shown that:
- The first of highlighted entrée on the lunch line has an 11% advantage over the second option
- The number of students consuming “healthy items” increased by 35% after the introduction of a “healthy choices only” convenience line
Over 30 million children are fed by the National School Lunch Program (NSLP). Smarter Lunchrooms are making a healthy difference!