MyPlate…Meet the Fruit and Veggie Challenge
June 13, 2016
MyPlate helps guide eating with food groups and smart serving sizes.
This week, practice serving sizes by focusing on fruits and veggies. A good goal for most of us is to choose 5-5 ½ cups of fruits and veggies a day. Use a 1 cup measure. A tennis ball makes a good visual for 1 cup, too.
- Try to get a variety each day. There are 5 different fruit and veggie colors (red, yellow /orange, green, blue/purple, and white. Choosing different colors ensures variety and makes a colorful plate!
- Each day, make a note of:
- The variety of fruits and veggies eaten
- The total number of cups eaten
- The ultimate goal is to choose 5 cups of fruits and veggies in a variety of types and colors.