Amazing Fruits and Veggies Kids’ Activity
September 11, 2015
Hear – See – Do Activity: Amazing Fruits and Veggies
Help kids hear the message that fruits & veggies are healthy and tasty.
Let them see the variety of fruit & veggie colors.
Let them do by giving them a challenge to complete.
Discussion Points –
Fruits & veggies rule when it comes to great taste and loads of nutrients. See the benefits:
Vitamins and minerals: Different fruits & veggies provide different types and amounts of vitamins and minerals so eating a variety is important.
Fiber: It fills us up so that we don’t overeat and keeps our digestive tract moving along and healthy.
- Orange fruits and veggies (sweet potatoes, carrots, apricots, cantaloupe) provide Vitamin A for healthy eyesight, skin and hair.
- Kiwi fruit, green peppers and oranges provide Vitamin C that heals wounds and keeps gums healthy.
Discussion Questions – Write fruit & veggie colors across the classroom board. Purple/Blue–Green–White–Red–Yellow/Orange
- Not counting juice, which fruits & veggies did you have to eat today? Write kids’ responses under the appropriate color groups.
- Are there color groups missing?
- If you aren’t eating the recommended amounts (at least 1-1/2 cups of fruit and 2-1/2 cups of veggies) every day, do you think you could? How would you do it? (Brainstorm and write answers on the board)
- Challenge kids to set one goal that will help them eat more fruits and/or veggies this week.
Adapted from the “Amazing Fruits & Veggies” lesson, Balance My Day™ nutrition curriculum, Grades 3-5