Creative Kids Cookbook with Garden Fresh Favorite Recipes
June 27, 2015
As kids are learning about and tasting garden fruits & veggies this summer, help them prepare a healthy cookbook of those foods with favorite family recipes.
Fruit & Veggie Favorite Family Recipes Cookbook (adapted from The USDA Great Garden Detective Adventure, nutrition curriculum for grades 3-4)
1. Explain to the kids that they will be creating a class cookbook with favorite family fruit & veggie recipes.
2. Provide kids a recipe template form (from the USDA curriculum) to take home and fill out legibly with their parents. Set a date for the recipe form to be returned to class.
3. Brainstorm cookbook title names and let the class vote. Divide kids into groups for various cookbook tasks:
- Cookbook cover design
- Acknowledgement page
- Table of Contents
- Divider pages and designs for the fruit and veggie sections
4. When recipes are submitted, cookbook tasks completed and recipes organized; assemble the cookbook.
5. Make duplicate copies, one for each child.
Help kids hear the message that cooking tasty fruit & veggie recipes will encourage them to eat more of those foods.
Let them see and share healthy recipe examples.
Let them do by creating a cookbook of healthy fruit & veggie recipes.
“Cooking is at once child’s play and adult joy. And cooking done with care is an act of love.” — Craig Claiborne4.