Garden Goodies for Kids’ Breakfast Recipe
June 19, 2015
Fresh and Tasty English Muffin Recipe
Supplies: toaster oven, cutting board, knife, spatula, small paper plates
fresh basil leaves
shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese
whole grain English muffins (One prepared English muffin provides 4 tasting samples.)
- Let kids assist with food preparation. Point out the ingredients that can be grown in a garden.
- Wash and slice tomatoes on a cutting board, set aside.
- Place English muffin halves (inside up) on a baking sheet or oven toaster pan.
- Layer each muffin with the following:
1 slice of tomato
spinach and basil leaves (pre-washed)
a sprinkling of shredded mozzarella
- Broil for 5-8 minutes or until cheese starts to melt.
- Allow to cool slightly and cut into tasting samples.
- Place on paper plates and serve.
Healthy Breakfast learning options:
Explain that eating fruits & veggies at breakfast provides color, variety and GREAT taste! So, they will be preparing a fun garden fresh breakfast recipe.
- Ask kids if they ate breakfast that morning? Explain that eating breakfast gives them GO Power to play and learn throughout the day.
- Ask what kind of foods are eaten at breakfast and write their comments on the board.
- Point out that fruit is a common choice but veggies may not be as familiar for breakfast.
- Give an example: scrambled eggs with salsa.
Find other class/group activities like the one above on our Printables web page!
Try out these other healthy breakfast and garden resources:
Nourish Interactive – Fun Materials promote Healthy Breakfast for Kids
OSU – Oregon Nutrition Education Program – Garden Enhanced Nutrition Ed Lessons for Kids