True Blue and Yummy Too Pre-K Activity
June 5, 2015
It’s blueberry season so here’s a yummy fruit lesson for the little ones…True Blue-Yummy Too! Tasting Activities (adapted from HKC’s (Pre-K) Berry, Berry Good booklet ).
- Introduce blueberries as a fruit (show examples and have enough for kids to taste).
- Have kids use their senses to touch, see and smell the blueberries. Discuss the blueberry’s shape and color.
- Talk about where blueberries come from.
- Let kids taste a single blueberry and let them know they will also get to taste blueberries in a bran muffin they are going to help make.
Blueberry Bran Muffins Recipe
1 commercial bran muffin mix
1 cup canned, frozen or fresh blueberries
Supplies: bowl, spoon, muffin tins, oven, (can opener, if needed)
- Prepare muffins according to package directions and allow kids to assist as able (pouring ingredients, stirring).
- Stir in 1 cup blueberries for each package of muffin mix.
- Fill muffin tins, bake according to directions, cool, and serve tasting samples for kids to try.
HEAR-SEE-DO for Summer Learning:
Help kids hear the message that blueberries are a tasty fruit.
Let them see with blueberry food examples.
Let them do with food preparation and tasting activities.
“Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more.” — H. Jackson Brown, Jr.