HKC On the RSCE Road in Dallas
October 9, 2014
Kid chefs, fresh local ingredients, and fun cooking competition combined for one awesome RSCE* day in Dallas!
Local celebrities, including former Dallas Cowboys running back Preston Pearson, coached the teams and judged the final dishes. Four teams were formed, and their first task was coming up with catchy team names.
- The “Waker Uppers” focused on healthy breakfast;
- The “Snacky Snacky’s” on healthy snacks;
- “The Carrot Spears” were the fruit and veggies chefs; and
- “Fruits on the Go” were the “go to” for healthy drinks.
You can almost taste these examples of the yummy items they dreamed up:
- Smiley Waffle topped with peaches and cranberries and a blend of low fat yogurt and granola
- Breakfast Burritos with salsa black beans, cheese and guacamole
The Carrot Spears:
- Veggie Surprise -tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, yellow pepper, orange pepper, grapes, low fat cheese cubes, and a balsamic vinaigrette
- “The Whole Package” – all the food groups on one plate!
Fruits on the Go:
- “Klyde Warren Park” – peanut butter, graham crackers, chocolate bar, low fat yogurt garnished with a strawberry
- “Morning Stretch” – strawberries, banana, kiwi, strawberry yogurt and low fat milk, garnished with a lime
- “East Lawn Delight” – carrots, spinach, mango, tomato, blueberry low fat yogurt, pineapple, and honey (garnished with cilantro)
- Creativity – the Waker Uppers for their Smiley Waffle with orange wedges
- Taste – Fruits on the Go for their Morning Stretch Smoothie
- Health – Carrot Spears for their “Whole Package” as all the food groups were on 1 plate
- Ingredients Used – Carrot Spears for using all the food groups
- Presentation – Snacky Snacky – for their 7 recipes and beautiful presentation
- Affordability – Snacky Snacky for their cucumber, lime, and salt appetizer
- Speed of Preparation – Fruits on the Go – throw in the blender, blend, done, and run
- Kid-Friendliness – The Waker Uppers for the creations – Kids can do it!
These kid-family-celebrity teams put their creativity to work during the United Way Health and Wellness Fair presented by Cigna and Texas Instruments. Local celebrities competing with the teams included:
- Preston Pearson, former Dallas Cowboys running back, joined the Waker Uppers team and also helped judge entries.
- Jennifer Sampson, President and CEO, United Way of Metropolitan Dallas, competed with the Snacky Snacky’s team.
- Kevin Marsh, Chief Financial Officer Texas Instruments, and Terri West, Senior Vice President and Manager, Communications and Investor Relations, Texas Instruments, helped the Carrot Spears.
- LaMonte Thomas, President and General Manager for North Texas and Oklahoma CIGNA, joined the Fruits on the Go team.
Stay tuned for more RSCE reports from Phoenix this fall.
*RSCE – the HKC signature event Ready, Set, Cook & Eat.