Celebrate Picnic Month with Kids
July 17, 2014
July is National Picnic Month, and a perfect time to “Eat, Move, and Enjoy Healthy Balance”.
Gather family and friends to enjoy light, summery foods along with play time in the fresh outdoor air.
Eat – Picnic Food Ideas:
- Why not try a tasty Cranberry Salsa with some baked chips for dipping?
- Remember your Drink Think challenge, and take along some Banana Berry Smoothies.
- Sandwiches! – Help kids make their own, with these ideas from Super Healthy Kids.
Move – Picnic Outdoor Play Ideas:
- Clothing Dash Splash activity.
- Bring along a football, or baseballs and gloves for a quick game of catch.
- Create your own games with only paper plates and sticks. For ideas to get started, check out this HKC Brain Breaks tip sheet.
Enjoy – Picnic Fun Ideas:
- Turn off all electronic devices and give your full attention to the family and friends who are present.
- Lie on a blanket and make a game out of finding shapes in the clouds above.
- Simply slow down, be in the moment, and enjoy the company of family and friends – a key part of the Eat, Move, and Enjoy Healthy Balance model.