Use National School Lunch Week to Showcase School Foodservice
October 3, 2013
It’s a perfect time to share some facts, like these:
- The USDA just released data showing the majority – 80% – of schools are successfully meeting the new meal standards (Time.com).
- All of the 267 award-winning “Healthy Schools Program” schools are meeting or exceeding the updated school meal standards. Click here for success stories.
- Healthy Kids Challenge schools, like Jackson Middle School, use school nutrition services to make a healthy impact. See their success story here.
And with all the attention that school meals have had recently, resources and toolkits for helping you showcase school foodservice are readily available!
- Showcase School Foodservice – is our website section devoted to helping you showcase how you are champions for school nutrition services, and also providing new tools like Explore MyPlate with School Nutrition, to make it easy to teach staff and students simple nutrition messages.
- School Lunch Across the USA toolkit from the School Nutrition Association – “It’s about celebrating the regional flavors, ingredients, and traditions from across the country. Every part of the country is known for different food—whether it’s New England chowder, southern black-eyed peas, Florida oranges, or southwestern salsa. School Lunch Across the USA allows you to celebrate the popular flavors in your own region, and across the country too!” Be sure to utilize the kids’ activities and the Backpack Brochure for Parents, too.
- National Take Your Parents to Lunch Day is on Wednesday, October 16, 2013. A wonderful opportunity to invite parents to school lunch, where they can experience the tasty, healthy options being served to kids daily.
Whatever your plans are for NSLW, we’d love to hear your own success stories, and share them here, too!