3 Tips for Our Family Health Challenge
April 18, 2013
The Challenge: Make it easier for your family to choose healthy foods – at home, eating out, wherever! Building on the ideas from this week’s WOWS newsletter, here are some simple ways to make it happen:
- Keep grab ‘n go breakfast ideas in reach, like string cheese, whole grain crackers and an apple.
- Try a new fruit or veggie, like jicama or starfruit, as a family.
- Flavor ice cold water with lemon, lime, or orange slices to give it a zing when choosing it as a mealtime beverage instead of sugary drinks.
Also, I want to point out that Let’s Move Healthy Families is a great resource, aligned with our principles, providing ideas like:
- Mix vegetables into dishes, like adding peas to rice, or cucumbers to a sandwich
- Choose lean cuts of meat like skinless chicken or extra lean ground beef for hamburgers or pasta sauces
- Have kids drink water at snack time
- Kids are smaller than adults and should eat smaller portions
There are so many ways you can meet this family challenge, but you must first CHOOSE to take action. Today’s a great day to start!