Youth Advisory Council Local Foods Project
January 31, 2013
Give kids an opportunity to advocate to others about how healthy eating enhances health and wellness.
Accessibility and Feasibility Project with Local Foods
- Have the kids research the availability of locally grown produce and feasibility of including it in the school meal program.
- Use research results to help determine if locally grown produce is realistic for your school meal program.
- Work with the kids to create a policy for use of locally grown foods to present to the school administration and school board.
- Conduct a taste test with kids and staff of the most feasible locally grown produce items that might be included in the cafeteria menus.
- If local produce items are added to the menus, market and name them on the menu to reflect the change.