5 Simple Actions for a Healthier School Environment
November 29, 2012
Take 5 simple actions for a healthier school environment…policies, practices, and healthy choices.
- Sign-up for our Wednesday WOWS E-newsletter. Receive simple, easy-to-implement ideas to support healthy eating-physical activity habits for kids. Share the ideas and use them to help put wellness policies into actions.
- Try out a Monthly Activity Idea at a staff meeting and provide the link for interested teachers to get more ideas.
- Recognize teachers who are integrating nutrition and physical activity into daily practices. (Studies show that exercise increases kids’ academic success.) Allow those teachers 10-15 minutes to demonstrate an activity for others.
- Use HKC-CIGNA Mix 6 for Healthy Balance Toolkit for staff wellness, which includes ideas for employers and healthy habit tips handouts for employees.
- Role model healthy choices. For example,
- Add simple stretches or other physical activity during a staff meeting.
- Use a “walk with the principal” (rather than food) to reward students.