Take the Get Your Plate in Shape Challenge
March 1, 2012
Kids and families: We are issuing you a healthy CHALLENGE to Get Your Plate in Shape during this 2012 National Nutrition Month.
Starting today, send us pics of your kids and families showing your plates in shape — in MyPlate shape, that is — and tell us what you did to shape ’em up! Send photos of your kids and family shaping up their plate to firstname.lastname@example.org. Look for your photos featured on Facebook and at www.healthykidschallenge.com, and a chance to become the overall “Challenge” winner!
Enjoy one simple way to get your plate in shape every day throughout National Nutrition Month on Facebook (LIKE us on Facebook) and all our social networking sites.
To get you off to a great start, here are simple tips to improve your plate’s shape!
- Create Color. Fill half your plate with a variety of colorful fruits and veggies! Use fresh, canned, frozen or dried to appeal to any age or taste.
- Add Whole Grains. Make “half your grains whole” by adding brown rice or barley as side dishes, or 100% whole wheat breads to your plate.
- Choose Lean Proteins. Use lean meats; fish, white chicken and turkey meat, extra lean beef and pork. Use lean cooking methods such as baking or broiling. Include beans and lentils in casseroles and side dishes.
- Include Low Fat Dairy. Get a healthy dose of calcium by drinking 1% or skim milk at meals! Use low fat cheeses, sour cream and yogurt in dishes.
- Take the Challenge! Get Your Plate in Shape in March for National Nutrition Month. Send photos of your kids and family shaping up their plate to email@example.com. Be sure to tell us what you did to get it in shape! Look for your photos featured on Facebook and at www.healthykidschallenge.com, and a chance to become the overall “Challenge” winner!