5 Tips for Active Play on a Rainy Day
October 10, 2011
Active Play can be a part of every day…and it’s just that, play – something that is fun and enjoyable. Rainy days encourage me to be creative and think of ways to get moving while we are stuck inside. It certainly doesn’t take fancy equipment or a gym membership to be active. I thought about ordinary items around my house (and yours) that can get you jumping, running, and moving around! Here are 5 tips for active play on a rainy day:
- Scarves – make a game out of tossing it up and trying to catch it. Try twirling around before catching it.
- Balloons – blow them up and start batting them around. How high can you toss it? Can you toss it up, do a jumping jack and catch it before it hits the ground? Play a game of toss with a partner. Pretend each balloon is a tasty fruit or veggie in that color and name as you toss!
- Paper Plates – use as a Frisbee or scatter a few on the ground and pretend to be a frog leaping from one to the other.
- Paper – crunch up a piece of paper into a ball shape and practice shooting hoops into a small bucket or trash can.
- Music -put some tunes on and join in with your kids! You will get to spend quality time and have fun with them (hopefully, it will burn their endless amount of energy) as well as get your heart pumping.
Here’s to Active Play every day – even rainy days – in October!