How Healthy Kids Challenge Aligns with USDA MyPlate
June 6, 2011
The MyPyramid symbol has just been replaced by MyPlate! Healthy Kids Challenge will help educators and kids make a smooth transition from MyPyramid to the exciting new MyPlate.
MyPlate is a reminder for Americans to eat according to the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
MyPlate illustrates the five food groups using a familiar mealtime visual, a place setting. There isn’t a change in the colors that identify the food groups.
The MyPlate messages are:
- Enjoy your food, but eat less.
- Avoid oversized portions.
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
- Make at least half your grains whole grains.
- Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals—and choose foods with lower numbers.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
The Healthy Kids Challenge Healthy6 messages share these MyPlate messages. Simple revisions will put this in line with MyPlate.
Healthy Kids Challenge will help educators and kids make a smooth transition from MyPyramid to the exciting new MyPlate. Stay tuned!