Fruity Chicken and Rice Salad Recipe
May 17, 2012
Emma Williams of Harding Academy, Searcy, AR., won a “Chef for a Day” with her whole grain recipe, Fruity Chicken and Rice Salad. Emma cooks a lot with her family. From that experience, she has learned to incorporate MyPlate guidelines in her every day eating. She showed us that by adding whole grain, brown rice and kid-friendly ingredients to this recipe entry.
“I came up with this recipe so I could make a fast and healthy school lunch instead of ‘just’ a plain sandwich.” – Emma
Fruity Chicken and Rice Salad
1 (13 oz.) can chicken breast meat, packed in water
1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple, in own juices
½ c. dried cranberries
1 c. cooked brown rice
1 medium red apple, diced
¼ c. low fat mayonnaise
1 pkg. whole wheat sandwich thins
- Drain and flake the chicken into a mixing bowl.
- Drain the canned pineapple and add to the mixing bowl along with the cranberries, rice and apples. Mix well.
- Fold the mayonnaise into the bowl ingredients and coat well.
- Serve as a sandwich with lettuce leaves, or on a lettuce bed as a salad, garnished with dried cranberries or sliced apples.
- Serve either recipe variation with a glass of skim milk to include all 5 MyPlate food groups in this lunch meal.
- Store leftover salad mixture in a refrigerated airtight container for up to 4 days.
For more award-winning recipes from the 2012 Stirring Up Health Recipe Contest, click here.